deliberation and finally after talking it though with some members who came to
the SCBWI Manchester critique group yesterday I’ve decided to change the titles
of my Holocaust projects, associated blogs and Facebook pages. Potatoes in Spring now becomes The House on Schellberg Street and The House on Schellberg Street turns
into Clara’s Story.
One of my beta
readers anyway has already told me that they preferred The House on Schellberg Street as the title for the first story. It
did worry me a little that only one strand of the story actually takes place at
the house but in fact only one third of Clara’s story does anyway. Possibly the
first story does overall have more to do with the house:
Renate thought she
was going to live there when she was being sent to England.
The strand of the
story that happens there is really important and leaves the way open for a
third book set in this era.
It poses a question
at the end.
For a short while anyway,
The House on Schellberg Street did
become the title of story number one. However, I then decided it was excellent
for number two. Now that Clara’s story is becoming more complex it seems less appropriate.
I think yesterday
I talked myself into this. It wasn’t
really so much that my friends persuaded me. The allowed me to persuade myself.
I rarely use the
title I’ve worked with for the eventual title of a text. It’s the one thing I’d
never worry about if an editor wanted to change it. I’d assume they knew better
than me. I’m not good at titles and blurbs but am good at names and synopses.
Each according to their strength.
I never worry
about the title, though. I’m fairly confident usually that the right one will
present itself. I fell reasonably satisfied with the decision I’ve made here.